What happens when you wake up 10 minutes before you are supposed to be at your soccer game? You miss breakfast…the most important meal of the day. So you grab a cliff bar on your way out the door and look forward to lunch time.
Unless…when you arrive home from your game you find that your husband has made a yummy Dutch Apple Baby from scratch! And used the rest of the apples from our food box…which means I’m off the hook to find a recipe for them this week :)
Freddie happens to love breakfast. It is his favorite meal of the day. I usually cook him breakfast before he leaves for work, or throw an oatmeal packet and some fruit in his lunchbox if he is in a rush. So it was so thoughtful of him to return the favor this morning when I came home from my game ready to eat.
This is a dish we have never made before. In fact, I have never even seen the recipe. Freddie decided to go into our new Vitamix Whole Food Recipe Book that came with the Vitamix he got me for my birthday and try something new…LOVE!
Looks like I should sleep in more often ;)
Dutch Apple Baby
preparation: 7 minutes, processing: 30 minutes, bake time: 20 minutes, yield: 8 servings
2 tablespoons butter
4 apples, cored, slices, seeded
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon sour cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in a 12 inch skillet. Saute sliced apples in butter and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook until slightly soft.
3. Transfer to prepared pie plate.
1. Add all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed above and secure lid. *
2. Select Variable 1.
3. Turn machine on and quickly increase speed to Variable 10, then to high.
4. Blend for 30 seconds.
5. Pour over apples. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Let cool and serve!
*Recipe can still be enjoyed without a Vitamix. A hand mixer or electric stand mixer can be used as a substitute.
Recipe Adapted from Whole Food Recipes by Vitamix