I love pancakes! Especially ones that are homemade. There is nothing better than starting off your day with a plate of sweet, fluffy goodness, drenched in pure maple syrup with a side of salty, crispy bacon. It makes my tummy happy. And when my tummy is happy, then I am happy.
I have been hot on my Perfect Pancakes recipe for a while now. It’s definitely my “go to” idea for breakfast, especially when we have house guests. But this weekend, I ventured outside of my comfort zone and tried something new. And I LOVED it!
I happened to have some buttermilk lying around and because I didn’t want it to go to waste I quickly searched for a buttermilk pancake recipe. I found this one on Pinterest, and now I owe my happy Saturday mornings to Alice from Savory Sweet Life. Thank you Alice! My life will never be the same…seriously :)
1 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons milk
1. Blend the buttermilk, eggs, butter, and vanilla in a blender at a medium – low speed until well combined (I used my Vitamix).
2. Slowly add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Continue to blend until the batter is thick and smooth.
4. Add the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the batter is as thick as honey or cake mix batter
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and coat it with non-stick spray.’
6. Pour 1/4 cup of the pancake batter onto the pan. Watch for the pancake to form bubbles on the surface and the griddle side of the pancake golden.
7. Gently but quickly flip the pancake over and cook for 30 seconds or until golden.
8. Spray non-stick spray between cooking new pancakes.
9. Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup or toppings of your choice.
Note: If you don’t have a blender, all the ingredients can be whisked in a bowl until the batter is smooth.
Recipe from Savory Sweet Life
What I love most about these pancakes, is how light and spongy they are. As much as I love pancakes, I rarely order them when we go out to eat because they are often too dense and rubbery. But these delightful discs have the delicious hint of buttermilk without making you feel weighed down. Pancake perfection!
So it looks like I need to run to the store to pick up another carton of buttermilk. These pancakes are a new staple around here. After devouring a large stack of pancakes, my husband turned to me and told me these were “the best pancakes he has ever had”. Guess I know what I’m making for breakfast for now on…
Your turn: What is your favorite breakfast recipe? Do you have a pancake recipe you would like to share? I look forward to reading your responses :)