Food. We all need it to live. But what we choose to put in our mouths can either build us up or break us down. Never before did I fully comprehend the mantra “you are what you eat” until I began this Clean Eating journey. But with so many temptations out there, it can be hard to follow through with your best intentions. That is why this meal plan is so helpful for me. It keeps me on track by offering me a strict framework. It also allows my body to detox from the yucky foods that I have enjoyed in the past. And what I am finding is that the longer I go without those foods, the less I crave them and ultimately, the better I feel. This meal plan has introduced me to cleaner versions of my favorite foods, helping me to make better choices in the future. And the last few days have been a good example of this. Check out what I have been stuffing my face with lately…
1. Breakfast: Peanut Butter Teff Porridge (Toast 1/2 cup teff on medium-high heat for 1 t0 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water, reduce heat to a low boil and cook, stirring, for 20 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup cooked teff with 1 banana, smashed, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 tbsp unsalted peanut butter and 1 tsp honey)
2. Snack #1: 1 cup Cream of Tomato Soup, 1 oz mozzarella cheese
3. Lunch: Quinoa Confetti (3 oz chicken breast, chopped, 1 cup cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup steamed corn, 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning)
4. Snack #2: 2 cups cubed cantaloupe topped with 1/2 cup cottage cheese.
5. Dinner: Seafood Salad (4 oz bass, seasoned and broiled, over 2 cups each spinach and arugula, 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes, 2 slices red onion, 2 redskin potatoes, chopped and steamed tossed with 2 tsp red wine vinegar and 1 tsp olive oil.
Highlights: It’s hard to pick one highlight today, since everything was so yummy. But I am most excited about my new favorite grain. Teff. It made for a delicious breakfast and I am looking forward to learning new ways to prepare it!
Lowlights: No lowlights today! Everything was great :)
2. Snack #1: 15 Beanitos Black Bean Chips with 1/4 cup hummus.
4. Snack #2: Vanilla Nectarine Treat (1/2 Barbara’s Shredded Wheat biscuit, crushed, 1 nectarine, pitted and chopped, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 tsp vanilla and 10 whole almonds, chopped.
5. Dinner: Asian Tofu Bowl (4 oz tofu, cubed, 1 zucchini, sliced, 1 carrot, sliced, 1 cup rice and 1 tsp soy sauce)
Highlights: I am in LOVE with this Melon Smoothie. I was a little hesitant at first because I am usually not a fan of melon flavored things (although I enjoy eating melon as is). But this smoothie was A.MAZ.ING!!! I will be making this over, and over, and over again. And I’m lucky enough that it appears again on this meal plan. Yay, me!
Lowlights: No lowlights today either. This meal plan ROCKS!
Whether it’s because I’m now considered a seasoned veteran or because I haven’t had to eat any canned salmon this time around, Clean Eating is no longer feeling like a sacrifice for me. I am completely satisfied after every meal and don’t feel the least bit deprived. This round is helping me to build the confidence I need to move forward with this new lifestyle and embrace change. As long as I can come up with some Clean Eating desserts, life will be grand :)