It’s hard to believe just two short weeks ago I began this Fresh Start Challenge. The time has flown by but I am feeling better than ever.
But now that the challenge is over, where do we go from here?
The most important thing to take away from this challenge is the lifestyle changes that will last beyond the two weeks. This includes a commitment to choose fresh, raw foods that will help fuel my body, giving me the energy I need to get through my days. I am fortunate enough to get a weekly delivery of local and organic produce to support this goal.
I am grateful for the variety of delicious recipes I picked up during this challenge. I am looking forward to sharing them with you and making them a regular staple in our weekly meal plans. I am also excited about the new ingredients such as coconut oil and Celtic Sea Salt that I am not only aware of but a big fan of thanks to this challenge.
Here’s a look at my last few days of eats during the Fresh Start Challenge…
1. First Thing: Amazing Grass’s Amazing Meal mixed with Coconut Water- In addition to all the yummy recipes I learned during this challenge, I am most grateful for being introduced to this delicious and energizing drink. It has become such an important part of my daily routine and I look forward to continuing it beyond the challenge.
2. Breakfast: Fruit Salad with Walnuts and Dates- Starting my day out with a fresh bowl of fruit topped with nuts really puts a smile on my face. It was a great excuse to enjoy some more of those fresh strawberries that came in my box this week as well as the leftover bananas from all the pudding. Refreshing and delicious.
3. Lunch: Goat Cheese Quesadilla- The plan for lunch today was supposed to be a bowl of Tomato Basil Soup but since I didn’t have time to make it the night before, I settled for another Goat Cheese Quesadilla…which was amazing! I layered in some leftover sautéed kale which helped to make this a well-rounded and filling meal.
4. Snack: Raw Coconut Fudge- This snack was actually on the menu for Day 10, but I neglected to read the directions which suggested you soak the nuts for 6-8 hours. So I soaked the nuts and then made it on Day 11, but again neglected to read the directions that suggest chilling the fudge for 2-3 hours. So I had to wait until today to enjoy it. Luckily, it was worth the wait. And I am excited to share the recipe with you soon.
5. Dinner: Baked Salmon with Sautéed Kale- Believe it or not, I was so busy Friday, I completely forgot to eat dinner. I happened to be talking to my mom around 10pm and I noticed that I was unusually hungry. Luckily, I had this salmon marinating in the fridge and my mom walked me through cooking it in the oven while we were on the phone (usually I refer to google for such a thing but since I have Verizon, I can’t talk and surf).
6. Snack: Young Coconut- After such a yummy and flavorful meal, this was the perfect way to cleanse my palate. I always save the coconut water for the following day (way better than bottled) and then scrape off the meat from the walls using a spoon. A great way to end the evening.
1. First Thing: Amazing Grass’s Amazing Meal mixed with Coconut Water- The Amazing Meal is delicious enough to drink with coconut water or your milk of choice, but can be easily added to your favorite smoothie. It is a wonderful way to jump-start your body in the morning or can also serve as a pre or post workout snack. The possibilities are endless :)
2. Breakfast: Naturally Sweetened Goat Yogurt– I went ahead and tried another new flavor today and to be honest, it’s not nearly as good as the strawberry or the mango. It’s not terrible, but without the fruit to mask the pungent goat milk flavor, it was a little tart for my liking. Especially first thing in the morning. So for now on, I am sticking with the flavors I like best.
3. Lunch: Lettuce Wraps Stuffed with Tuna Salad- Choosing to wrap your sandwiches in lettuce instead of bread is an easy and delicious way to cut back on processed grains. Since I had gestational diabetes while pregnant with Harper, this was the only way I could enjoy my lunch most days. And to be honest, I have come to prefer eating my sandwiches wrapped in lettuce now.
4. Snack: Apple Topped with Peanut Butter- Knowing that we were going to be out and about running errands, I got my snack all ready to go before we left the house. When the time came for me to enjoy it, I realized I had left it on the kitchen counter…darn! Enter Trader Joes…they always come through :) Bought a bag of organic sliced apples and a new jar of unsalted, unsweetened peanut butter and snack was served!
5. Dinner: Black Bean Tostada- I am in LOVE with these beans. If you thought I was into beans before, these beans take the cake. This will definitely be a recipe I plan to share…once I make a new batch of them ;)
6. Snack: Almond Milk Ice Cream– Sometimes, ice cream just tastes better out of a carton. And this almond milk frozen dessert is no different. Since there was only a few bites left anyways I decided to skip the bowl and just grab a spoon. PS: I am totally hooked on this stuff!
1. First Thing: Amazing Grass’s Amazing Meal mixed with Coconut Water- To think this whole journey started with one green drink…For those of you out there who are skeptical about this cup of greens, I encourage you to give it a try. If you like the taste of fresh juiced greens, they offer an original flavor and for those of your who prefer something sweet, why not try a vanilla chai or chocolate?
2. Breakfast: Raw Steel Cut Oats- I don’t know about you, but whenever I eat cereal with fruit, there has to be an equal fruit to cereal ratio on my spoon. And when the fruit is all gone but there is still cereal left? Better slice up some more fruit so I can enjoy the rest of the cereal. Does that mean that instead of eating Raw Steel Cut Oats with fruit, I am really eating fruit with Raw Steel Cut Oats?
3. Lunch: Tomato Basil Bisque- I finally had time to whip up a fresh batch of this amazing soup. And then proceeded to eat two bowls of it. It is just so darn tasty! I have plans to post the recipe later this week so stay tuned.
4. Snack: Naturally Sweetened Goat Yogurt– After an unsuccessful experience with the Vanilla, I went back to my old faithful, Apricot Mango. And it really was the perfect snack while I was in the midst of prepping dinner. Soooo creamy :)
5. Dinner: Stir-fry Chicken and Vegetables with Soba Noodles- It’s not often that I eat pasta, but since I haven’t eaten it in nearly 2 weeks, I was very excited about this meal. And the recipe delivered! Silky soba noodles, tossed with green onions, red bell pepper and diced chicken drenched in a homemade cilantro peanut sauce, this dish is a definite winner.
6. Dessert: Kombucha- I have never jumped aboard the Kombucha train. I guess I just don’t know much about it. But this delicious drink was a great way to end the evening. It was tasty and refreshing and has loads of health benefits. Might just have to get hip to the Kombucha craze.
And with that, the 2 week Fresh Start Challenge is complete. It was a wonderful journey and I truly learned a lot about how to make better choices in the food I eat. Plus, I have more than enough recipes and ideas to keep me going down the right path.
For additional entries…
1. Subscribe to this blog and leave a comment telling me you have done so. If you already subscribe to my blog, then leave me a comment telling me that you are already subscribed (and thanks for the support!).
2. Follow @amazinggrass on Twitter and leave a comment on this post letting me know you’ve done so.
3. Follow Amazing Grass on Pinterest and leave a comment on this post letting me know you’ve done so.
4. Pin this giveaway and comment here with a link to your post.
The more entries you have, the better your chances are to win. The giveaway will close at 12:01 am on February 25th. A winner will be randomly selected and announced on February 26th. Make sure to include your email address with your comment so that I can contact you if you win.
*Full Disclosure: Amazing Grass provided me with one bottle of Amazing Meal free of charge. I was not paid to write this post. With exception of some of the factual information given about the various products, all opinions regarding the products are my own and 100% honest.