I am a meat eater through and through. No meal is complete without a big lump of protein on my plate. So when I went through my Fresh Start Challenge meal plan and saw that there was a vegetarian soup on the menu, I was skeptical. I mean, I love veggies, and I love soup, but can’t we toss some chicken in there to boost up the heartiness factor? Well let me just say, this soup is perfect just as it is! Not only was it incredibly delicious, but it was definitely hearty! The quinoa and goat cheese help to bulk up the texture and give it enough protein to keep you full and satisfied without weighing you down.
4 large carrots, chopped,
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp Tamari
2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
28 oz can whole tomatoes, drained
1 cup organic marinara sauce
1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tsp honey
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/4 tsp Celtic Sea Salt (more or less to taste)
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Dashes of dried thyme, rosemary and oregano
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 cups chicken broth
1. In a large soup pot, heat the Tamari and 1 tbsp coconut oil over med-high heat.
2. Stir in the chopped onions, celery and bell peppers and sauté for about 5 minutes before adding the garlic, carrots and about 1/2 cup chicken. Sauté another 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, basil, broth, salt, marinara sauce and remaining spices (wait to add the remaining 1 tbsp coconut oil and nutritional yeast until the very end before pureeing).
4. Let soup come to a boil and cook on low-med heat for about 1/2 hour, allowing all of the flavors to meld together.
5. Pour all of the contents from the soup pan into a blender, along with 1 tbsp coconut oil and the nutritional yeast. Blend on high for about 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
6. Portion out soup into bowls and add prepared quinoa, mix until combined. Top with crumbled goat cheese.
Recipe slightly adapted from Amazing Grass: Fresh Start Challenge
What I love most about this dish is how super duper easy it is to make. Just throw everything in a pot, let it hang out for a bit and then toss it in the blender. And with enough soup for 4-5 servings, there is plenty to share or hide away in the freezer for later ;)
PS: Congratulations to Tiffany T for winning the Amazing Grass Giveaway! And a big thank you to everyone who participated. Cheers to a Fresh Start!